Senior Data & Insights Manager
- Full Time
- Audience Development
The Senior Data + Insights Manager will support TED’s growing media analytics efforts, with a focus on bridging robust, comprehensive reporting with clear insights and actionable recommendations that can drive mission and business-driven decision-making.
First and foremost, the Senior Data + Insights Manager will serve as a storyteller, translating data into clear insights and insights into strategic recommendations. You should be just as comfortable navigating big data sets and updating metrics dashboards as you are creating clear, compelling, and actionable narratives. You understand how to customize reports for different stakeholders, you feel comfortable in fast-paced settings, you thrive both collaboratively and independently, and you’re solution-oriented — able to identify problems, think creatively about their solutions, and spearhead the path forward.
In this role you’ll be responsible for leading analytics projects across TED’s media efforts, supporting decision-making and strategy across digital platforms, content and audience. You’ll work closely with our Digital Products team to hone our data governance efforts, refine reporting infrastructure, and disseminate learnings + insights throughout the organization. The Senior Data + Insights Manager will report into the Deputy Director of Audience Development, supporting an org-wide effort to craft and implement against data-led audience + business growth strategies.
This role will require people management, and the ideal candidate finds joy and meaning in supporting others in their professional growth.
- Initiate and execute analytical projects that support decision-making and strategy across TED’s digital platforms and content, including O&O, YouTube, social media, newsletters, audio, and Membership.
- Work closely with the Digital Products analytics team to ensure:
- data is being properly sourced
- analyses are built using the most-appropriate tool(s) with reproducibility in mind
- Serve as a lead data storyteller on TED’s Media Team, translating data into insights, providing actionable recommendations and ensuring analytics are communicated in a way that is clear and compelling.
- Keep fingers on the pulse of TED Media’s health metrics, KPIs and OKRs, forecasting growth and providing updates on pacing
- Lead a small and mighty team of Analysts who support regular, day-to-day reporting and analytics projects
- Work with analysts throughout TED to centralize data and cross-pollinate insights, ensuring all teams can benefit from each other’s learnings.
- Support TED’s data migration efforts + new platform onboarding, advising on Media Team needs and interests
- Serve as TED POC for external social media analytics platforms (Sprout, SocialFlow, Later), maintaining relationships with vendors + platform contacts
- Identify gaps in TED’s data landscape and opportunities to optimize data flow and reporting, collaborating with relevant teams where necessary
- Support with qualitative data projects including surveys — bridging quantitative data with user feedback and sentiment to create holistic narratives about our platforms, products and audiences
Skills + Experience
5+ years experience working in analytics for a digital media or content team.
- A deep-level of experience with a range of analytics tools, including:
- Product analytics tools such as Google Analytics or Mixpanel
- Business intelligence + analytics tools like Tableau and Stripe
- Off-platform-specific tools like Sprout Social and MailChimp
- Proficient in writing your own SQL queries
- Deep understanding of digital campaign tracking and UTM parameters
- Demonstrated understanding of various forecasting methods and their pros and cons
- Experience with analyzing and measuring results from A/B testing
- Experience with survey tools, i.e. SurveyMonkey and using qualitative data + sentiment to support a data story
- Bonus points for:
- Demonstrated proficiency with data extraction, cleaning, and visualization using R and ggplot2
- Creating dashboards in Tableau
- Querying data from a data warehouse (preferably experience with Snowflake or BigQuery)
- Managing source code via GitHub
Insights + Storytelling:
- Proven ability to analyze and evaluate data, identifying the insights and takeaways that inform top-of-mind content and business decisions
- Strong background in data visualization; ability to tell an engaging, clear and actionable story around data
- Exceptional communication + presentation skills
- Proven success informing strategy through data-driven recommendations and insights
- Understanding of a user funnel, and familiarity with mapping KPIs and goals to each part of the funnel
- Ability to use qualitative data + sentiment to support quantitative data stories