Engineering Manager, Back End
- New York City, NY
- Full Time
Engineering Managers are key contributors to the success of the Digital Products team. Through their central roles in hiring, retention, professional development, prioritization, performance management, and managing escalations, Engineering Managers are responsible for setting their teams up for long-term impact and growth. They should be able to jump into code at any point to provide mentorship, code reviews and assessments.
- 8+ years in software engineering, 3+ years in people management
- Proven record of setting teams up for success, mentoring and growing direct reports
- Firsthand experience working in both consumer internet technology, as well as enterprise tools
- Extensive hands-on experience with back-end tech stacks. Focused experience with Ruby on Rails, MySQL and AWS are strong plus.
- Mission-driven and keen to support and grow our global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion; seek to broaden representation across tech in support of innovation. Believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world.
- Strong communication, curiosity, collaboration, and perspective-taking skills. Eager to understand the cultures, values, goals, and constraints of others, whether they are TED staf, partners, users, or beyond
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment where we navigate the complexities of both scale (especially on ted.com) and crafted experience (especially for our conferences)
- Lead and manage a team of software engineers, including supporting their hiring, retention, career growth and professional development, and performance management
- Lead the enablement of great developer experiences by implementing cutting-edge DevOps practices
- Conduct code reviews with engineers in order to provide support, feedback and encouragement.
- Set an example of positive, productive communication. Foster a culture of transparency and support a safe atmosphere within which engineers can work.
- Serve as an escalation point on technical decisions that span multiple project areas, including technical architecture, programming languages, saas modules, deprecation decisions, and other technical strategic decisions
- In collaboration with product managers, designers, and functional leads, serve as a key connecter and coordinator between parts of the digital products team, as well as TED more broadly
- Contribute to TED’s overall success: the strength of our global communities, the relevance of our projects, and the impact of our ideas
Workplace Conditions / Physical, Mental and Visual Demands:
- General: Office environment
- Physical: Repetitive movement of wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Mental/Visual: Concentrated mental and/or visual attention
- Machines, Tools, Equipment, Electronic Devices, Computer Software, etc.
- Ability to use common office equipment such as telephone and computer
- Computer programs to include MS Office, Mac programs, Google Docs, functional related databases
- Travel: Upon request
Your location is flexible, but you’ll need to work US East coast hours.