This is a short-term, temporary contract role for in-person, onsite support at the TEDWomen conference in Palm Springs, California. You may be asked to work some or all of the dates between November 28 and December 4, 2021. You will be responsible for any travel, accommodation and meal costs.
As a Buildout Crew Lead - Lift Operator, you’ll prepare and set up the event space for the conference. You’ll assist with receiving and unpacking shipments and deliveries, and the setup, strike, placement and removal of décor, supplies and furniture throughout the event space, including the stage. You’ll lead the buildout crew, assigning tasks and duties and managing breaks and scheduling. You’ll also be assigned to help other teams with projects as needed. You’ll be professional and discreet in all circumstances and throughout the conference site, and stay on task even if the workload is light.
You’re proactive and resourceful, able to think critically when solving problems. You’re a quick study who can follow instructions to the letter, and you manage your time and competing priorities effectively, delegating where appropriate. You’re familiar with the use of hand tools and basic machinery, and you hold a valid Forklift Operator certificate
This is a labour intensive position and involves standing and walking for long periods. You must be able bodied and willing to lift, move and carry at least 50lbs.
- Coordinate breaks and schedules of buildout crew
- Assign tasks and duties to buildout crew, update on task deliverables and completion
- Operate a forklift or scissor lift to assist with moving inventory and large decor pieces, furniture and shipping pallets
- Receive inventory or deliveries from trucks, assist with unpacking and packing of trucks
- Liaise with vendors and delivery services
- Interpret floor plans and banquet orders to move and place inventory from the loading area into the event space
- Configure a space according to floorplans and banquet orders as provided ensuring all elements are in place
- Assembly and disassembly of furniture, props decor, lighting, AV signage or other items
- Provide basic venue support such as light repairs and troubleshooting
- Assist in cleaning of furniture (chairs, stools, tables, sofas, shelving units, etc.)
- Maintain event spaces, making sure they’re clean and ready for use
- Maintain a safe and organized workspace.
- Keep a detailed inventory of items, labeling and preparing for storage at the end of the event.
- Valid Forklift Operator Certification
- Previous supervisory experience required, able to oversee a team and manage staffing schedules and task lists
- Previous live event production or stagehand experience a strong plus
- Able to operate basic machinery, including but not limited to hand tools, hand held dollies and manual pallet jacks
- Experience with audio visual equipment a plus
- Familiarity with inventory and warehousing systems a plus
- Able to read and follow basic floor plans
- Able to work well under minimal supervision and follow instructions well
- Organized and efficient, with excellent time management skills
- Resourceful, self-motivated, a quick study
- Able to stand for long periods and participate in physical work and heavy lifting of up to 50 lbs