The current affairs curator is responsible for pushing the envelope of the type of speakers selected for TED events and responsible for establishing a series of news-related events in the TED World Theater (TED’s in-house theater in NYC, with proprietary technology allowing 3000+ virtual participants). The curator will bring in speakers from across the political and cultural spectrum, with a particular focus on finding those who can bridge and close the rifts that are currently dividing society, and who can offer exciting new possibilities for thinking about political, economic and cultural issues.
It can be easy for the digital audience to disappear into a filter bubble of self-righteousness; this curator knows how to introduce ideas that move the conversation forward rather than in a spiral. With a focus on the art of persuasion and the magic of possibility, he/she/they is also a ninja collaborator, working across TED to bring the finest ideas to our stage and help them shine. Poised and personable, comfortable onstage and off, the current affairs curator will help to make TED in all its forms a must-not-miss.
Ideal Qualifications / Skills
• Undergraduate degree or better
• 5+ years of experience working on content creation (live and/or digital)
• Strong writing, editing and communication skills
• Incredible contacts. You can invite an interesting, eclectic and diverse group of speakers from day one
• Presenting and live interviewing experience
• Curious, creative, collaborative, and personable
• Must be a quick study of what matters most, and be able to define the most “TED-like” way of quickly responding to a significant news story.
• Establish and oversee a series of events featuring talks, interviews or other to make the TED World Theater a venue that matters in New York -- and around the world
• Have a track record of working quickly and accurately, able to turn an idea into impact with minimal drama
• Challenge cozy assumptions about what a TED Talk should be
• Work with speakers to help them present the most interesting ideas in the most appropriate way
• Work with the Partnerships team on partner-related events hosted in the New York HQ theater
• Work with the Theater team to make the most of the technological capabilities of the theater
• Host salons, sessions, social media specials, and other TED-related events, as required
• Act as an ambassador for TED in the world at large
• Other duties and special projects as may be assigned from time to time
• Willingness to contribute however possible to ensure the overall effectiveness of position
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter including details of 3 TED speakers you'd like to see on the TED stage, and why.
TED Conferences LLC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We invite all qualified candidates to apply online with their resume.