ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a UI/UX Designer to join a diverse, supportive community of creatives building and maintaining new experiences in digital media. You will play a key role on the Technology team at TED and contribute to an end-to-end design process that allows you to own your work, collaborating on complex design projects that touch millions of users – from conference technology, web and mobile experiences, and support of our many communities and social impact initiatives.
UI/UX designers at TED are responsible for designing digital product experiences to help facilitate mission-driven impact at TED. They will be hands-on and use a broad skillset across interaction and visual design domains to build holistic design solutions, The discipline combines design for interaction (UI/UX, design systems, and digital products) and design for communication (brand and visual storytelling). Visual designers balance spirit and rationality; brand and product; functional clarity and emotional impact from early-stage idea generation through detailed feature design for a digital product.
As a UX/UI Designer, you will sometimes be the only designer on a program. You are expected to plan, prioritize, and deliver design activities autonomously, in the context of interdisciplinary projects. You may lead stakeholder conversations within your domain, providing articulate recommendations and helping guide stakeholder choices.
**Please include a portfolio of design work showcasing your design approach, learnings, and skills with your application (with a password, if necessary).**
- Define the end-to-end user experience on various products serving a variety of user needs, increasing engagement, strengthening community, and driving the impact of ideas
- Confident presentation to drive points forward from whiteboard sketching to high-fidelity final treatments and prototypes
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes, recognizing that there is rarely “one right answer” and there is value in exploring trade-offs
- Collaborate with other Product Designers as well as Product Managers, Engineers, and other stakeholders, both informally and through participation in structured reviews and Design Sprints
- Define critical user journeys and promote a culture of product design excellence not only inside the Technology team but also across TED more broadly
- Champion user experience and advocate for design and help to build our design team culture, processes, and systems
- Participate in research [user and analytical] to understand user pain points, motivations, habits, and workflows in order guide decision-making in the design process.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- 2-5 years of experience in product design with a BA or certificate in digital product design, graphic design, user experience, interaction design, human-computer interaction, or equivalent professional experience
- Fluency in a broad range of software design disciplines, including interaction design, information architecture, and visual design; familiarity with the principles of motion design and native app design
- Successful partnership and collaboration with senior team members (Product Managers, Engineers, and stakeholders) on complex design efforts from ideation through prototyping, refinement, iteration, user testing, launch, post-launch maintenance, and turndowns, when necessary
- Track record of leveraging design systems with proficiency in contemporary digital product design tools and technologies; this could include Figma, Miro, Jira, Confluence, Webflow, HTML, CSS
- A passion for creating products that meet people's functional and emotional needs. expert eye for visual design and the ability to articulate the visual design process from visual research to mood boards, visual systems translation, and application.
- Understanding of design research skills including user interviews, usability testing, and design thinking methodologies to accelerate iteration and development.
- Strong communication and visual storytelling abilities, curiosity, collaboration, and perspective-taking skills – eager to understand the goals, values, and constraints of others, whether they are TED staff, partners, users, or beyond
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment where we navigate the complexities of both scale (especially on ted.com) and crafted experience (especially for our conferences)
Your current location is flexible, but you’ll need to work U.S. east coast hours. Once it is safe, this position can be based in TED’s Manhattan office, though we will also consider candidates who would indefinitely work remotely.
As part of your application, please include a link or PDF of your portfolio of recent work, highlighting your abilities and experience relevant to the role, with specific examples of how you work, think, collaborate, and contribute to great design outcomes. Please note that we are unable to accept any applications without a portfolio.
WHY WORK FOR US
TED is a global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world. TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Everything we do is driven by this goal: How can we best spread great ideas?
In addition to driving forward TED’s mission and joining our dynamic Technology team, we’re proud to provide strong employee benefits, including:
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision) 100% paid by TED for employees
- Work-life balance encouraged (TED closes for a 2-week summer break and 1-week winter break plus you're eligible for additional paid time off)
- Free OneMedical and SpringHealth membership for you and your dependents to address physical and mental well-being
- Paid family leave
- 401(k) with match