- New York, NY
Contract term: 6 months, ideally May/June - October/November
TED is looking for an experienced and boundlessly curious editor to work across the Editorial and Audience Development teams on our two most-subscribed newsletters: TED Talks Daily and TED Recommends. This is a great job if you're: a spectacular writer with incredible attention to detail; comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment; and passionate about TED's mission of spreading world-changing ideas. Whether you’ve worked on newsletters at a major digital publisher, spearheaded a newsletter strategy at a small business, or run a successful personal newsletter, we want to hear from you!
The primary function of the Newsletter Editor is to expand engagement with TED content. To be successful in this role, the Editor should be as data-driven as they are creative. While this role’s primary focus is on TED’s two flagship newsletters, the Newsletter Editor may be asked to contribute strategic thinking to other newsletters as well.
This is a part-time contract role that reports into the Senior Director of Publishing & Programming. The initial term is for six months, with the potential to become full-time after that.
- Create, edit and deploy newsletters to TED’s multi-million-subscriber audience.
- Manage newsletter schedules and promotional calendars.
- Write original copy that engages readers and viewers in the TED voice.
- Coordinate with teams across TED to develop and execute growth and revenue strategies, leveraging data and insights.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest email trends across the media industry.
- Increase subscriber retention and engagement, and new acquisitions.
- 4-5+ years working in media, with at least 2 years in newsletters specifically.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- General interest and curiosity in a wide range of topics.
- Highly collaborative work style with experience in building consensus across teams.
- Experience with A/B testing, personalization and segmentation.
- Familiarity with leading email service providers (eg. Mailchimp, Sailthru) and other cloud based enterprise tools (eg. Airtable, G Suite).
- Familiarity with the wide range of TED content from talks to podcasts to original series.
- Long-standing subscriber to at least one of TED’s newsletters.
- Keen design sense with a strong perspective on email layouts and optimization.