Contractor - Event Coordinator (Social Program)
The Contract - Event Coordinator (Social Program) is a dynamic and self-motivated individual eager to learn and advance their career in the events industry. You will have some working knowledge and experience of the industry, a curiosity for innovation and a passion for excellence.
The Contract - Event Coordinator (Social Program) will assist the Experience Production team in the delivery of a broad program of world-class conference events, while maintaining the brand integrity of TED. You can expect to work on everything from data entry, researching trending activities and offsite experiences, and maintaining databases, to working closely with our event producers in the development and execution of a variety of events including workshops, lunches and dinners. You are results-oriented, a team player with an aptitude to learn, a willingness to contribute, and have a passion for making a difference in the workplace and beyond.
- Degree or diploma in event management, hospitality, project management or similar discipline or combination with relevant experience.
- 1+ years in an events role.
- Some event planning experience and knowledge of the event industry with a willingness to learn and progress in the role.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical, strategic planning and creative problem-solving skills with a solution-oriented approach.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure, meet competing deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously, with minimal supervision.
- The ability to exercise attention to detail.
- A keenness and aptitude for working in deadline-oriented and fast-paced environments.
- Must be proficient in MS Office, Google Docs, and Airtable.
- Support the Experience Production Manager and Event Producers in the design, planning and onsite execution of custom experiences in the range of 10-100 people in the following areas of the TED Conferences social program: Partnership lunches and dinners; offsite activities, onsite workshops; TED Initiative team events.
- Work collaboratively and respectfully across the TED Conference department to incorporate the expertise and resources of other team members.
- Source and place orders for all related front and back of-house needs (working with internal and external stakeholders in coordinating their event activation needs) including but not limited to: Decor, equipment rentals, audio-visual, F+B, furniture, signage, etc.
- Regular and consistent data entry and maintenance of Airtable, our online management system; provide presentations and documents as required; and use Airtable to administer, assign, track and report on all administrative and project tasks to ensure all events are delivered efficiently, on schedule and to a high standard.
- Support in the creation of all event orders including but not limited to: room setup and floorplans, transportation, AV, decor, food and beverage, event services (electrical, IT, etc), staffing and signage, etc.
- Support in all aspects of vendor and venue relationships, including research, RFP and contracting processes, quality control, change orders, invoicing, updating TED databases and day-to-day communications.
- Assist in the maintenance and reconciliation of conference budgets.
- Work with staffing lead on procuring staff; create training materials for both online and offline staff training sessions and help to train and lead onsite support staff.
- Willingness to contribute to ensure the overall effectiveness of the team.
This is a contract opportunity with TED with a target start date for November 2022. 2 - 3 days per week to start, ramping up to 5 days in the new year and through until the end of TED in April 2023. The contract will extend through 2024 with fluctuating hours throughout 2023.
This position requires a somewhat flexible schedule (with the ability to work longer hours, evenings + weekends in the pre-conference phase and onsite execution) and includes the potential for international travel. Please note that proof of COVID-19 vaccination may be required to attend/work at any of our events.