TED has a rare opening on its legal team for an experienced, transactional licensing attorney with relevant experience to support the licensing of TED’s content across digital channels, including podcasting, distribution of TED content, including TEDx, TED Talks, short and longer form of digital content, protecting TED’s branded websites and content, and enforcing and defending TED’s use across the globe with help to manage our trademark and copyright policies. The candidate should have a deep knowledge of business and legal issues that relate to content production, distribution and licensing, as well as an appreciation for new models of content exploitation across all media and platforms. This will include drafting unique terms that are specific to TED regarding intellectual property ownership, including pre-existing IP and proper exploitation of work-for-hire arrangements; licensing arrangements; co-production agreements; shopping agreements; and rights and clearances for the foregoing. The ideal candidate is dynamic, collaborative, detail-oriented, curious, and an out-of-the-box creative attorney with expertise in drafting custom agreements related to content licensing and distribution, and experience in managing, protecting and defending global brands for an integral position within TED’s lean legal team reporting to TED’s General Counsel. At TED, we seek to bridge, include, diversify because we truly believe ideas are for everyone. It is important to us to attract individuals from diverse backgrounds who are curious about the world and interested in helping us spread ideas far and wide and providing us the legal acumen to do so.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
- Juris Doctorate
- 6 -10 years relevant experience with lawyering at a media company, entertainment or dynamic organization with an intellectual property practice, including licensing, production, distribution, publishing of content across all forms of media.
- Must have an entrepreneurial spirit and an enthusiastic attitude toward innovation in the entertainment business and legal affairs area.
- Sharp legal acumen in assessing copyright and fair use issues
- In-house counsel experience at a nonprofit and/or digital media company preferred
- Ability to identify legal issues early – and then creatively problem-solve working constructively and collaboratively with stakeholders
- Solid understanding of podcast, television, and video production, related business, and legal issues.
- Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business and legal trends in the media industry.
- Critical thinker providing thoughtful, strategic legal and business advice in managing deals, conflicts, and projects
- Knowledge of brand protection and infringement issues with the ability to explain complex legal issues to the business teams with ease
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority, and high-volume projects.
- Excellent writing skills that use an authentic voice aligned to TED’s mission.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results
- Global mindset/perspective
The successful candidate will offer our clients timely legal advice, drafting and negotiation support regarding any of the following:
- Collaborating with the business on new models of content licensing including drafting terms and conditions that are user-friendly, appropriate for the media platform, and reflecting TED’s business terms
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating license and sublicense agreements, podcast host agreements, and other transactions required for publication, distribution and marketing of TED content across all forms of media.
- Supporting teams with providing talent agreements and waivers, music performance licenses, negotiating with music clearances houses, and ensuring rights are consistent with TED’s global use
- Drafting and negotiating distribution agreements to enable TED content to be hosted across the globe with various carriers, including airlines, video-on-demand platforms, hotels, podcast platforms,and other paid subscription services that will license TED content
- Draft and support TED’s various teams to ensure TED has talent agreements, releases, and waivers for TED talks, including copyright clearance of talks for audio, music, video
- Clearing of talks for publication including reviewing defamation, privacy, and identifying topics that could result in legal red flags.
BENEFICIAL FOR THE POSITION
- Tracking tasks in Asana (project management software), fluency with Google Docs and Microsoft Suite
- Knowledge of DocuSign and ContractSafe applications helpful
- Demonstrated success in collaboration and team building
Please submit a cover letter, salary requirements and how you have used creative, out-of-the-box thinking in your legal work. Due to the high volume of applications, only candidates under consideration will be notified. Only candidates located within the greater NYC metro area will be considered.