Project Coordinator, Portfolio Impact (The Audacious Project)
The Audacious Project – a growing team at TED Conferences – is seeking a Project Coordinator for our Portfolio Impact vertical. This is a unique opportunity to learn more about the social sector, support a dynamic community of social entrepreneurs, and gain exposure to the emerging practice of large-scale, collaborative philanthropy. While focusing mostly on strategic administration, the Project Coordinator will gain a broad view of the Audacious Project and our approaches to supporting the impact of our nonprofit partners.
The Project Coordinator will report to a Portfolio Impact Director and be responsible for the following:
- Strategic Administration (70%). Help the Portfolio Impact team schedule, execute, prioritize, and track a wide range of internal and external activities.
- Manage individual and team calendars. Support could range from scheduling requested meetings to proactive management of calendars with a strategic understanding of team priorities, working styles, etc.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders. These meetings may include: active projects, donors, partners and vendors, other TED teams, and more. Participate in meetings, supporting the team by helping set agendas, capture and share notes, and ensure follow through on next steps.
- Assist with travel arrangements and other logistics as requested; Shape travel schedules based on team priorities / goals for trips, and help develop agendas.
- Track team expenses, process expense reports and reconcile monthly credit card statements.
- Assist with special projects such as team retreats or grantee / partner convenings, where support may range from scheduling and coordinating travel to supporting agenda and content development.
- Knowledge & Data Management (15%). Maintain team databases and knowledge management tools, pulling information from colleagues across verticals to ensure resources are up-to-date and accessible.
- Maintain team data systems (Google Drive, Salesforce CRM) by filing documents and information as requested
- Input content into shared tools, spreadsheets and work-planning documents with guidance from relevant team members (e.g. project reporting calendar; funding data spreadsheet; etc.)
- Over time, develop contextual awareness to proactively update tools and databases as new information becomes available (e.g. project reporting calendar; funding data spreadsheet; etc.)
- Oversee / manage the team’s tools, pulling information from team members across verticals
- Project Management (15%). Support Audacious Portfolio Impact team members with managing major projects. Project management needs tend to intensify during key milestones in our annual funding cycle, when many different teams (internal and external) are providing input, making decisions, and moving different dimensions of the work forward at once. This extends to TED’s Annual Conference, where the Portfolio Impact team designs conference programming and side events in collaboration with new and existing Audacious grantees. We also anticipate major projects focused on delivering portfolio support services, building community for Audacious grantees and partners, and more. With the above in mind, the Project Coordinator will play an integral role in:
- Helping design project management tools and systems;
- Shepherding a wide range of internal and external stakeholders through complex initiatives, coordinating across teams and ensuring that the Portfolio Impact team is responsive to our partners;
- Executing on discrete pieces of projects, with guidance and partnership from the Portfolio Director and other colleagues;
- Providing input to help shape the content and deliverables that arise over the course of these major projects.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and attributes:
- 2+ years supporting management / executive teams with strategic administration as described in the role description above.
- Working knowledge of or experience with social sector organizations such as funders, nonprofits / NGOs, funding intermediaries, research organizations, etc.
- Fluency with technology platforms such as Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and Salesforce / CRM tools
- Is proactive, detail oriented, and adept at streamlining; Helps their manager and team plan ahead, builds efficiency and responsiveness into existing operations, and navigates operational & administrative hurdles before issues arise
- Highly organized and has experience managing a wide variety of responsibilities and tasks, tracking many details and moving pieces concurrently
- Exhibits strong critical thinking and analytical skills; identifies and proposes improvements to systems, processes, and strategy
- Is conscientious and executes their job with a high sense of ownership
- Loves supporting people (both individuals and the team as a whole); customer service oriented, with excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Is excited by the mission of Audacious and is eager to get acquainted with the portfolio of organizations the team supports
- Is enthusiastic about diversity and curious to engage with communities other than your own.
- Exercises discretion and protects confidentiality at the highest level
This is a full-time position based at the TED HQ in Lower Manhattan. Generous health/dental/vision benefits, PTO, and a company-matched 401K are part of the deal.
About The Audacious Project
The Audacious Project is a collaborative funding initiative that is unlocking social impact on a grand scale.
TED is a nonprofit dedicated to “Ideas worth spreading,” and we’ve thought for a long time about how to turn big ideas into action. The Audacious Project — a collaborative funding platform — is a project of TED designed to do this at scale.
By inviting the world’s change-makers to dream bigger than ever before, the Audacious Project surfaces ideas with the potential to affect millions of lives and impact entire systems. Using our curatorial expertise, and in partnership with the Bridgespan Group and several others, we support selected applicants to shape their ideas into actionable, multi-year proposals. We then convene a community of donors who collectively contribute large-scale funding directly to individual organizations.
Our collaborative funding model attempts to address a major frustration faced by the world’s change-makers: Without access to venture capital or stock markets, social entrepreneurs have to pitch donors one-by-one -- often a deeply inefficient process for all involved. Now in its fifth year, the Audacious Project has catalyzed more than $3 billion for 38 organizations engaged in a wide range of social impact efforts around the world.
Beyond mobilizing capital, our design is dynamic and responsive to the needs of projects once they receive transformative funding. To that end, the Portfolio Impact team focuses on helping projects thrive on the Audacious platform, achieving their goals for both impact and sustainability. The Project Coordinator will have a unique opportunity to join the team at a time of dynamic growth, supporting a wide range of ‘here and now’ activities, while also helping Audacious lay the foundation to endure and innovate over time. Our work is in service of Audacious social entrepreneurs and the incredible difference they are making in the world.
TED Conferences LLC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We invite all qualified candidates to apply online with their resume.