The Global Distribution & Licensing team at TED develops media partnerships, editorial programs, and education products that make TED’s content accessible to diverse audiences around the world in collaboration with leading technology, audio, publishing, and other types of companies. These partnerships generate hundreds of millions of views and listens of TED-branded programming including TED Talks, TED-Ed animations, the TED Radio Hour series, TED Original podcasts and other content, and contribute new revenue to help resource the organization’s goals as a not-for-profit educational media brand.
We are seeking a Content Distribution Specialist to help prepare and deliver TED video and audio assets to media partners around the world in accordance with TED’s contractual obligations and each partner’s deadlines and technical specifications. Deep attention to details, well-developed organization skills, and a natural ability to calmly and efficiently manage mission-critical projects are essential to success in this role.
- Media assets (video, audio, subtitles, images, and metadata) preparation and delivery:
- Coordinate with TED video production and TED-Ed teams on video and audio asset preparation.
- Coordinate with TED Translators team on language subtitle and metadata preparation.
- Coordinate with TED design team on artwork and thumbnail image preparation.
- Coordinate with TED technology team on troubleshooting access issues (FTP, API, embed player, etc.) reported by partners.
- Refine the asset preparation and delivery workflow, helping to build scale while developing new efficiencies.
- Content Quality Control (QC):
- Perform QC review on TED video and audio content that has been prepared for media partners.
- Collaborate with the TED video production team to correct issues found during QC.
- Partner operation coordination:
- Deliver assets via various technologies such as FTP, Aspera, partner CMS, embed codes, and API
- Send delivery confirmation
- Collect and manage assets delivered by partner
- Collect analytics from partner platforms.
- Interface with clients around content delivery, content performance, and any technician troubleshooting, which are all critical to the success of TED's business relationships
- Undertake special projects as requested, e.g. YouTube rights management.
Required for the Position
- At least 2-3 years of professional experience at a leading media company or organization, and a strong familiarity with video in particular. When we start talking about codecs and content delivery systems, those should be very familiar to you.
- Expert user of the following tools: Excel, Google Sheets, Dropbox (a test will be given during the interview)
- Experience working with script languages: SQL, HTML and XML (a test will be given during the interview)
- A great systems thinker obsessed with efficiency.
- Impeccable attention to details.
- You have excellent organizational skills, are good at setting priorities, can manage multiple deadlines, and follow through on tasks. It isn't in your nature to leave a question unanswered or a task half-finished.
- A collaborative team player who can work across departments at TED, and also excels when working independently.
- You love technologies and are always curious to learn new ones.
- You are passionate about TED. When someone mentions a talk that they love, you're likely to have already seen it.
Beneficial to the Position
- Experience in project management
- Experience in relational databases, podcasts, RSS feeds, AirTable, R, Tableau
- Experience in Adobe Suite such as PhotoShop, Premier, Illustrator
- Experience in video and/or audio editing
- Experience in productivity tools such as Automator, BBEdit
- Foreign language skills are a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work or educational experience.
A curious mind and passion for learning are essential to this position. Enjoying TED Talks and other TED content helps too! Candidates should find joy in ambitious goals, meaningful responsibilities, teamwork, and humor. We’re serious about our work but we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
This is a full time position, based in TED’s Manhattan office. Competitive salary and innovative, generous benefits including a 2-week company-wide break each summer plus PTO.
WORKPLACE CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL DEMANDS
- General: Office environment
- Physical: Repetitive movement of wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Mental/Visual: Concentrated mental and/or visual attention; work involves performing tasks to very close accuracy and quality specifications
- Machines, Tools, Equipment, Electronic Devices, Computer Software, etc.:
- Ability to use common office equipment such as telephone, computer and copier
- Computer programs to include MS Office, Mac programs, Google Docs, functional related databases
- Travel: Limited / as requested