ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Product Manager to play a key role on the Digital Products team at TED, focused specifically on building out, and iterating upon, TED’s infrastructure and data platforms and operations.
TED creates, produces and distributes ideas conveyed through video and audio (most famously TED Talks) to many millions of people around the world. As a Product Manager focused on infrastructure and operations, you will guide the development of the backbone of our key systems: infrastructure for ted.com, our mobile apps, our TED Recommends emails, digital advertising, and critical systems used by media producers and editors across departments. You will work directly with software engineers on the Digital Products team and collaborators throughout the company.
- Collaborate with other product managers, designers, and engineers to scope and implement solutions for TED’s platform technology and internal media production workflows
- Facilitate operating model of broader Digital Products team and lead cross-team processes, goal-setting, documentation, and training
- Define product vision through user understanding, problem/opportunity definition, business goals, market and user research, and stakeholder management
- Partner with TED’s internal stakeholders and subject-matter experts to set priorities, orchestrate product development schedule/roadmap, and manage and communicate prioritization
- Coordinate all aspects of product delivery, including: release planning, dependency management, user acceptance testing, go-to-market/rollout operations, and change management
- Communicate updates and outcomes regularly to senior leadership across the organization
- Contribute to the broader culture and progress of the Digital Products team, and TED overall (e.g., through Employee Resource Groups, Hack Weeks, and team summits)
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- 2-5 years of product management experience
- Strong systems thinker, proficient with the product development lifecycle (discovery, research, stakeholder communications, requirements gathering, prioritization, QA, rollout operations, etc.)
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, with experience aligning stakeholders, creating robust documentation, and leading training sessions for internal/external users
- Experience initiating and leading cross-team processes to make Product, Design, Engineering, and related stakeholders work better together
- Can generally understand impact vs. effort required for projects and are capable of discussing requirements and tradeoffs with engineers
- Comfortable wearing many hats, adapting to shifting priorities, and maintaining your own work queue with complex problems in ambiguous environments
- Detail-oriented and curious with ability to source and analyze data effectively to make smart decisions and/or articulate further questions
- Preferred: Experience with internal tools, platform products, and/or product operations
Your current location is flexible, but you’ll need to work U.S. east coast hours. Once it is safe, you can be based out of, or at least need to periodically travel to, TED’s Manhattan office.
WHY WORK FOR US
TED is a global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world. TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Everything we do is driven by this goal: How can we best spread great ideas?
In addition to driving forward TED’s mission and joining our dynamic Digital Products team, we’re proud to provide strong employee benefits, including:
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision) 100% paid by TED for employees
- Work-life balance encouraged (TED closes for a 2-week summer break and 1-week winter break plus you're eligible for additional paid time off)
- Free OneMedical and SpringHealth membership for you and your dependents to address physical and mental well-being
- Paid family leave
- 401(k) with match